Super Bowl Prop Betting
No sporting event invites as much prop betting as the Super Bowl. There’s a line on almost everything that happens during the NFL’s biggest game, and you’ll be able to bet on all of it at online sportsbooks in New York. Here’s a guide to all the Super Bowl prop action at legal NY online betting sites.
Live Super Bowl Prop Odds
See below for current Super Bowl prop odds as posted at legal online sportsbooks. Search by any team or player. Due to NY legislation, you may not be able to bet all individual props during the Super Bowl. Click on any odds to go directly to the sportsbook and find out.
Best Super Bowl prop betting sites
- DraftKings New York: Best for clear listing of available Super Bowl props and live prop betting platform.
- FanDuel New York: Best for competitive Super Bowl prop lines.
- BetMGM New York: Best for large variety of Super Bowl bets, including props.
- PointsBet New York: PointsBetting and Super Bowl props are a winning combination.
- BetRivers New York: Best for loyalty program with rewards for Super Bowl prop betting.
How to bet on Super Bowl props in NY
Whether you’re betting on obscure table tennis matches or the most popular Super Bowl props available, you need an account at a legal online sportsbook in New York. Here’s how to get one:
- Choose a sportsbook and head to its website.
- Create an account and claim any sportsbook promos and bonus codes.
- Check the sportsbook’s Super Bowl page for prop bets that you might want to place.
- Make your picks, fill out a bet slip and confirm your bets.
Most props will also be available during the game, and you can continue to bet on them at live Super Bowl prop odds. Just make sure to stick with betting sites that are licensed to operate in New York. Offshore sportsbooks might offer more Super Bowl props, including some of the more exotic ones, but there are no consumer protections if you bet there. If something goes wrong and your money disappears, you likely wouldn’t be able to do anything about it.
NY vs. NJ Super Bowl props
Prior to New York allowing online sports betting, New Jersey had established itself as the best place for New Yorkers to bet on the Super Bowl. If you wanted to place a bet and lived nearby, you could simply jump across state lines. You could even place online bets from as close as a PATH subway platform in New Jersey.
However, the need for New Yorkers to travel to bet on Super Bowl props should be over by the time Super Bowl LVI rolls around in February 2022. In November 2021, the New York State Gaming Commission recommended nine online sportsbooks to receive licenses to operate in the state.
Most should be live by February 2022. Plus, the NYS Gaming Commission will likely be as welcoming of Super Bowl props as the New Jersey Division of Gaming Enforcement has been. Sportsbooks will need regulatory approval for any prop bets for the Super Bowl that they want to offer. If regulators in New York are as open as they have been in New Jersey, New Yorkers should be able to bet on hundreds of props from inside the state come Super Bowl LVI.
What are the top Super Bowl prop bets?
Most of the prop bets during the Super Bowl will focus on actual game action. You’ll likely be able to bet on a variety of individual and team-based accomplishments like the following:
- Will the first score be a TD, field goal, or safety?
- Which player will score the first TD?
- Which QB will have more passing yards?
- Will there be a defensive TD?
- Will there be a safety?
- Which player will win the Super Bowl MVP?
- Over/under on any player’s total TDs/rushing yards/passing yards/receiving yards.
- Over/under on either team’s total TDs/rushing yards/passing yards/receiving yards.
- Total combined TDs.
In addition, you may also be able to place some of the following props at regulated mobile betting apps in NY. And if you don’t find them there, they may be available at books in New Jersey:
- Will any scoring drive take less time than the national anthem?
- The coin toss — heads or tails?
- What color Gatorade will the winning team dump on its coach?
Super Bowl crossover props
The Super Bowl is undoubtedly the biggest game in town, but it is far from the only game in town. The NBA and NHL seasons are in full swing in February, and both have been known to hold games on Super Bowl Sunday or the day before or after. That kind of scheduling brings crossover betting with it, including props that combine NBA or NHL action with what happens in the Super Bowl.
For instance, you might be able to bet on which will be higher — LeBron James’ point total or Derrick Henry’s rushing attempts. Or you might be able to bet on whether both teams in the Super Bowl will combine for more total punts than James Harden will have rebounds.
Exotic Super Bowl prop bets
There are often a few unusual wagers in the Super Bowl props market. These may involve something only tangentially related to the game action, or they may be bets about some of the rarer on-field happenings. Either way, you may hear people call these types of bets exotics.
Just remember, if the New York State Gaming Commission doesn’t let licensed sportsbooks offer some of these props, the New Jersey Division of Gaming Enforcement might. That means all you have to do is hop over the state line to bet on them.
- Will a TD be overturned by replay?
- How many players will have a passing attempt?
- What color Gatorade will the winning team dump on its coach?
- Any offensive or defensive lineman to score a touchdown.
However, online sportsbooks in New York and New Jersey won’t be able to offer some of the wilder prop bets you might have heard about. If you see any of the following props, you’re likely looking at an offshore sportsbook, which means placing a bet carries risks, as we went over above.
- Who will the Super Bowl MVP thank first?
- What beer brand will run the first beer commercial?
- Will the price of Bitcoin go up, down, or stay the same during the game?
- Will there be a streaker?
- Will any player propose to his girlfriend on the field after the game?
Super Bowl party betting sheets — prop betting at home
To get everyone involved at your Super Bowl party this year, you can organize a home prop game for all your guests. Simply print up a sheet with your favorite prop bets on it.
Include the craziest ones you can find. Hand it out to your guests as soon as they walk in the door, and make sure they fill it out before the first prop on the sheet is settled. Score the sheets and award prizes for certain props and the most correct answers.